Dr. Basma Hassan
Computing & Information Sciences
Received her B.Sc, M.Sc, and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from the Faculty of Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Cairo University, Egypt in 2006, 2011, and 2020 respectively. She joined Fayoum University in 2008 and worked as a TA and Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Computer Science at the Faculty of Computers and Information, and she is currently working as a Lecturer since 2020.
She contributed to teaching multiple courses for the undergraduate and graduate levels at the Faculty of Computers and Information at Fayoum University, and she also taught the Intermediate Programming course at ITCS School at Nile University. Her main research interest field is Artificial Intelligence, including semantic textual similarity, natural language processing, semantics, machine learning, text processing, and information retrieval.
Dr.Basma was selected to participate in a graduate student exchange agreement between Fayoum University and Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina – USA, and she joined the department of Computer Science at Appalachian State University in Spring 2012 for one semester.
- Ph.D. from the Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Cairo University, Egypt, date: 2020
- Master’s in Computer Science at Faculty of Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Cairo University, Egypt.
- Bachelor in Computer Science at Faculty of Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Cairo University, Egypt.
- Structured Programming
- Introduction to Programming
- Programming Fundamentals
- Data Structures
- Natural Language Processing
- Logic Programming
- File Organization
- Computer Graphics
- Formal Languages and Automata Theory
- Theory of Computation
- Modeling and Simulation
- Basma Hassan, Samir E. AbdelRahman, Reem Bahgat, and Ibrahim Farag, “UESTS: An Unsupervised Ensemble Semantic Textual Similarity Method,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 85462-85482, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2925006.
- Basma Hassan, Samir AbdelRahman, Reem Bahgat, and Ibrahim Farag, “FCICU at SemEval-2017 Task 1: Sense-Based Language-Independent Semantic Textual Similarity Approach,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval-2017), collocated with the 55th annual meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Vancouver, Canada, Aug. 3–4, 2017, pp. 125–129. DOI: 10.18653/v1/S17-2015
- Basma Hassan, Samir AbdelRahman, and Reem Bahgat, “FCICU: The Integration between Sense-Based Kernel and Surface-Based Methods to Measure Semantic Textual Similarity,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval 2015), collocated with the 2015 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics–Human Language Technologies (NAACL HLT 2015), Denver, Colorado, USA. Jun. 4–5, 2015, pp. 154–158. DOI: 10.18653/v1/S15-2028
- Samir AbdelRahman, Basma Hassan, and Reem Bahgat. 2010. A New Email Retrieval Ranking Approach. International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology (IJCSIT), vol. 2, issue 5, pages. 44–63. DOI: 10.5121/ijcsit.2010.2504
- Bachelor's honor degree, Cairo University, 2006
- Fayoum University Excellence Award in international scientific publication in 2019
Mandated to the Management Information and Decision Support Systems Department at Supreme Council of Universities from 2015 to 2017.