Prof. Reem Bahgat
Position: EUI's President.
Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/reem-bahgat-528a0536/
Prof. Reem Bahgat obtained her Ph.D. (1991) in Computer Science from Imperial College London. She has been a Faculty Member at Cairo University since 1993. From May 2016 to August 2020, she was the Director of the Egyptian Bureau for Cultural and Educational Affairs at the Egyptian Embassy in the U.K. From December 2014 to May 2016. She was Assistant to Cairo University President for Informatics and Information Technology. From January 2009 to November 2014, she was the Dean of the Faculty of Computers and Information at Cairo University. Prof. Bahgat was also a co-founder and Deputy Director of the Centre for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage, CULTNAT (www.cultnat.org), affiliated to Bibliotheca Alexandrina and supported by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, from 2000 to 2012.
As Advisor to the Minister of Communications and Information Technology since March 2020, she led the team for establishing the Egypt University of Informatics (EUI) and has been selected by the Board of Trustees to be the first President of EUI.
- D. in Computer Science, Department of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London, 1991.
- MSc in Computer Science, Department of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London, 1987.
- BSc in Computing and Statistics, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Kuwait University, 1985.
- Information Retrieval and Sentiment Analysis
- Multi-Agent Systems and Technologies
- Parallel Logic Programming
- Constraint Logic Programming
- D.is recommended to the British Computer Society Distinguished Dissertation, U.K, 1991.
- Awarded Distinction in the MSC. Course Examinations, Imperial College London, 1986.
- The Award of "The Kuwait Foundation for Scientific Advancement for the highest cumulative GPA in Kuwait University, Kuwait, 1985.
- "First Honour," Award in Kuwait University, 1981- 1985
- Principal Investigator in JMSE, 530637-Tempus-1-2012-1-PS-Tempus-JPCR, 2012-2015 (extended to Oct 2016), the project aims to develop a joint MSC in software engineering and to implement it in the MEA partner universities.
- Principal Investigator in InfrArtSonic, INCO-CT-2005-015338 Project, 2006-2008, for using non-destructive techniques in analyzing and documenting artworks. As Assistant Director and then Deputy Director of CULTNAT, she managed several international award-winning projects in the digital documentation of the tangible heritage of Egypt, such as The Archaeological Map of Egypt, The Architectural Heritage and Urban Heritage of Egypt, The Documentation of Scientific Islamic Manuscripts, and the Eternal Egypt Portal www.eternalegypt.org.
- The Egyptian Partner (Principal Investigator) in "MedMultiTrain," a MedCampus Project, 1994-95, for innovative Multimedia Training in a banking environment. The Egyptian Partner (Principal Investigator) in "Electronic Roads in the Information Society," an INCO-DC Project, 1998-2001, Research project on distributed multimedia systems and networking.
- Egyptian Team Member in "Development of Upgraded Science and Engineering Education in Southern Mediterranean Universities through the Use of Telematics Technologies," joint sponsorship between UNESCO Cairo Office and European Commission, 1998-2000.
- Senior Consultant, Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage, Affiliated to Bibliotheca Alexandrina and supported by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, located in Smart Village, Giza, Egypt, Jan 09-Dec12
- Consultant of Cultureware Projects, The Cabinet Information and Decision Support Center (IDSC), Cairo – Egypt, April 94- April 96.
- Consultant of Cultureware Projects, The Regional Information Technology and Software Engineering Center (RITSEC), Cairo – Egypt, March 93-March 94.
- Consultant to Sakhr Company for Building Intelligent Scheduling Systems for Educational Institutes, 1997.
Prof. Mohamed El-Sharkawi
Position: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Department: Data Science and Engineering
Email: [email protected]
Prof. El-Sharkawi obtained his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University, Japan. His research interests are in Database Systems and Social Network Analysis. He has several database systems and social network analysis publications published in international journals and conferences.
B.Sc. Department of Systems and Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Azhar Univ. - MSc. Dept. of Computer and Communication Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu Univ., JAPAN - Ph.D. Dept. of Computer and Communication Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu Univ., JAPAN
Research Interests: Database Systems, Social Network Analysis
- Nariman Adel Hussein, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi:
Influential Attributed Communities Search in Large Networks (InfACom). IEEE Access 9: 123827-123846 (2021).
- Leila Esheiba, Amal Elgammal, Iman M. A. Helal , Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi:
A Hybrid Knowledge-Based Recommender for Product-Service Systems Mass Customization. Inf. 12(8): 296 (2021).
- Wafaa M. A. Habib, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Weight-Based K-Truss Community Search via Edge Attachment," IEEE Access (2020).
- Galal, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi" TRR: Reducing Crowdsourcing Task Redundancy," DEXA (2) 2019: 102-117
- Leila Esheiba, Amal Elgammal, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi" Recommendation Framework for on-Demand Smart Product Customization," ICEIS (2) 2019: 177-187
- Amani H. B. Eissa, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar "Towards Recommendation Using Interest-Based Communities in Attributed Social Networks," WWW (Companion Volume) 2018: 1235-1242
- Noha N. Mohie, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "A Comprehensive Sanitization Approach for Workflow Provenance Graphs," EDBT/ICDT Workshops March 2016.
- Wafaa M.A. Habib, Hoda M.O.Mokhtar, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "A New Approach for Scholars Matching Using Universal Quantifier Queries," SERVICES 2015, pp.268 - 273.
- Wafaa M.A. Habib, Hoda M.O.Mokhtar, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "MapReduce Algorithms for Processing Universal Quantifier Queries," IEEE CLOUD 2014, pp. 149-154.
- Rasha Bin-Thalab, Neamat El-Tazi, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "TMIX: Temporal Model for Indexing XML Documents," AICCSA 2013, pp 1-8.
- Omnia Ossama, Hoda Mokhtar, Mohamed El-Sharkawi, "Dynamic k-Means: A Clustering Technique for Moving Object Trajectories," International Journal of Intelligent Information and Database Systems (IJIIDS), 6 (4), pp. 307-327, 2012.
- Hassan, Marwa. Hussein, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Mining Disease Integrated Ontology," The 12th IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering BIBE2012, Nov. 2012, Larnaca, Cyprus.
- Ayman El Killany, Samhaa El Beltagy, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Sentence Compression via Clustering of Dependency Graph Nodes," The 8th IEEE International Conference on Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Engineering, Sept. 2012, China.
- Omnia Ossama, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi. "An Extended k-means Technique for Clustering Moving Objects," Egyptian Informatics Journal, Vol. 12, Issue 1, pages 45–51, Elsevier, March 2011.
- Omnia Ossama, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi, "Clustering Moving Objects Using Segments Slopes," International Journal of Database Management Systems ( IJDMS ), Vol.3, No.1, February 2011.
- Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, Omnia Ossama, Mohamed El-Sharkawi, "A Time Parameterized Technique for Clustering Moving Object Trajectories," International Journal of Data Mining & Knowledge Management Process (IJDKP) Vol.1, No.1, January 2011.
- Hassan, M. Hussein, and M. El-Sharkawi "Mining Human Disease Information Based on Ontology," The 11th IADIS European Conference on Data Mining (ECDM'11) Conference, July 22 – 25, 2011, Rome, Italy.
Omnia Ossama, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi. " Clustering Moving Object Trajectories using Coresets," First International Conference on Computer Science, Engineering & Applications ( ICCSEA-2011 ), Dubai, UAE, May 2011 (selected among best papers invited for journal submission).
Laila Abd-Elatif, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi, Al-Fangry, and Yahia Helmy "Vertical Mining of Frequent Patterns from Uncertain Data," Computer and Information Science, Vol. 3, No.2, May 2010, pp. 171-179.
Amal Elgammal and Mohamed El-Sharkawi " Using UML to Model Web Services for Automatic Composition," International Journal of Software Engineering, Vol.3, No.2, July 2010, pp.87-113.
- Omnia Ossama, Hoda M. O. Mokhtar, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi. "Segment k-means Clustering Algorithm," The 20th International Conference on Computer Theory and Applications (ICCTA 2010), 23-25 October 2010, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Gaber, M. El-Sharkawi and M. N. Eldeen "Traditional Genetic Algorithm and Random Weighted Genetic Algorithm with GIS to Plan Radio Networks," International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Information Science, Vol.9, No.2, July 2009.
- Suliman M.A. Gaber, Mohamed Nour El-Deen and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "GSM Network Planning Using Genetic Algorithms and Geographic Information Systems," The Egyptian Computer Journal, Vol. 36, No.1, June 2009.
- Laila Abd-Elatif, Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi, Laila Al-Fangry, and Yahia Helmy "Vertical Mining of Frequent Patterns Using Diffset Groups," Ninth International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, Pisa, Italy, Nov. 2009.
- Noha Nagy and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "XML Security: Detecting and Preventing Disclosure in XML," Journal of Information Assurance and Security, Vol. 3, 2008, pp. 212 – 219.
- Noha Nagy and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Disclosure Prevention in XML," Proc. of the First IEEE Int'l. Conf. on the Application of Digital Information and Web Technologies, August 4-6, 2008, Ostrava, Czech Republic.
- Amani H.B. Eissa and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "An Intelligent Integrated Framework for Predicting Protein-Protein Interactions using Data Mining Techniques," Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering, Oct. 2007, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Eman E. Saied, Ehab E. Hassanien, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Improving the Compression of Inverted Index using Sequitur Algorithm," The 16th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (SEDE-2007), July 9-11, 2007, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- E. El-Sharkawi, M. B. Riad and A. M. Hafez "Predicting Object Movement in Moving Object Databases," International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Information Science, Vol.5, No.1, July 2005, pp 1-18.
Mohammed Al-Kateb, Essam Mansour, and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi: "CME: A Temporal Relational Model for Efficient Coalescing," 12th IEEE International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning (TIME 2005), 23-25 June 2005, Burlington, Vermont, USA., pp. 83-90.
- Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi and Neamat A. El-Tazi "Efficient Relational Storage of XML Documents," IEEE AICCS05 Int'l Conf., January 2005., Cairo, Egypt.
- Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Deadlock Prevention in Nested Transactions," Egyptian Journal of Informatics, Vol. 4, No. 1, June 2004.
- Asmaa A. Al-Sayed, Hossam Hassanein, and Mohamed El-Sharkawi "Effects of Shaping Characteristics on the Performance of Nested Transactions," Journal of Information and Software Technology, Vol. 43, 2001, pp. 579 – 590.
- Mohamed A. El-Zawawy and Mohamed E. El-Sharkawi "Clustering with Obstacles in Spatial Databases," The 1st IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology, pp. 420 - 425, Dec. 2001, Cairo, Egypt.
- Mohamed El-Sharkawi, Hossam Hassanein, and Hosam Abo-AlFutoh "A Concurrency Control Mechanism for High-Speed Network Client-Server Database Architecture," Egyptian Journal of Informatics, Vol.1, No.1, June 2000.
- Al-Jumaa N. B., Hassanein H. S., and El-Sharkawi, M. E. "Implementation and Modelling of Two-Phase Locking Concurrency Control- A Performance Study," Journal of Information and Software Technology, Vol. 42, No. 4, March 1, 2000.
- Hossam Hassanein and Mohamed El-Sharkawi "Performance Modeling of Nested Transactions in Database Systems," CASCON 2000, Montreal, Canada.
- Asmaa A. Al-Sayed, Mohamed El-Sharkawi, and Hossam Hassanein "A New Deadlock Detection and Resolution Mechanism in Nested Transactions," Proceedings of 5th Int’l Conf on Foundation of Data Organization, pp. 158 - 167, Kobe, Japan, Nov. 1998.
- Hossam Hassanein, Mohamed El-Sharkawi, and Hosam Abo-AlFutoh "A Conservative Concurrency Control Mechanism for Client-Server Database Architectures," IASTED 16th Int'l Conference on Applied Informatics, Germany, February 1998.
- El-Sharkawi, M. "Object Migration in Semantic Databases," IASTED 13th Int'l Conference on Applied Informatics, Austria, February 1995.
- El-Sharkawi, M. and Kambayashi, Y. "Generating Nested SQL Queries for Documentation," Transactions of Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol. 35, No. 2, Feb. 1994, pp. 253 - 266.
- El-Sharkawi, M. "Efficient Processing of Set SQL Queries," Future Databases 92, Kyoto, Japan, Edited by: Q. Chen, Y. Kambayashi, R. Sacks-Davis, World Scientific, 1992.
- El-Sharkawi, M. and Kambayashi, Y. "Object Migration Mechanisms to Support Updates in Object-Oriented Databases," in Databases: Theory, Design, and Applications, pp. 73-92, Edited by: N. Rishe, S. Navathe, D. Tal, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1991.
- El-Sharkawi, M. and Kambayashi, Y. "Efficient Processing of Distributed Set Queries," in Databases: Theory, Design, and Applications, pp. 93-109, Edited by: N. Rishe, S. Navathe, D. Tal, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1991.
- El-Sharkawi, M., "Answering Queries in Temporal Object-Oriented Databases," Database Systems for Advanced Applications'91 (DASFAA 91), Tokyo, Japan, Edited by: A. Makinouchi, World Scientific, 1991.
- El-Sharkawi, M., Kambayashi, Y. "Architecture and Implementation of ENLI: Example-Based Natural Language Assisted Interface," Proc. of PARBASE-90, Int'l. Conference on Databases, Parallel Architectures, and Their Applications, March 6-9, 1990, Florida, U. S.A.
- Elgammal A., El-Sharkawi M., "Using Process Algebra for the Automatic Verification of Composite Web Service Modeled in UML," Al-Azhar Engineering Ninth International Conference (AEIC'07), pp. 347-366, Egypt, 2007.