Dr. Amal Elgammal
Head of Software Engineering Dept
Faculty of Computing & Information Science
Dr. Amal Elgammal is the acting head of the Software Engineering Department, at the Faculty of Computing and Information Sciences at EUI. Dr. Elgammal is also an academic adviser to the Minister of Communications and Information Technology in Egypt. She is an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Cairo University, Egypt, and an adjunct senior researcher at the Scientific Academy for Service Technology (ServTech), Germany, since 2015. She has obtained her Ph.D. in Information Systems at Tilburg University, the NL (2008-2012), under the supervision of the renowned Prof. Dr. Mike Papazoglou. She has served as a post-doctoral researcher (2013-2014) at University College Cork (Ireland), Governance, Risk and Compliance Technology Centre (GRCTC). She has also been working as a research fellow at Trinity College Dublin, Future Cities Research Centre (2014-2015). Dr. Elgammal has built an excellent research record enriched with applied and industrial experience/practice and has extensively participated programs in many research programs funded by the European Union (both FP-7 and H2020). Examples are: H2020 Qualitop (2020-2024), H2020 ICP4Life (2015-2018), DIVERSIFY (2014-2015), COMPAS (2008-2011) and S-CUBE (2008-2012). Dr. Elgammal is regularly invited as a visiting professor in various EU universities to benefit from her expertise and discuss ways of joint cooperation, and she has recently succeeded in concluding a Mobility agreement between Cairo University and the University of Tilburg under the Erasmus+ KA107 program funded by the European Union.
Ph.D. from the Department of Information Systems, Tilburg University, the Netherlands. Graduation date: April 27th, 2012 Supervisor: Prof. M.P. Papazoglou Dissertation title: “Towards a Comprehensive Framework for Business Process Compliance”
Master’s in Information Systems at Cairo University, Faculty of Computers and Information, Information Systems Department, Egypt. Thesis title: “Efficient Techniques for Building Web Services”
Bachelor in Information Systems at Cairo University, Faculty of Computers and Information, Information Systems Department, Egypt.
- Organizations & Technology.
- Applied Business Analytics.
- Technology Strategy.
- Software Engineering-I.
- Software Development for Real-Time Systems
- Requirements Engineering, Joint Masters in Software Engineering.
- Software Architecture and Design.
- Systems Analysis and Design-II
- Systems Analysis and Design-I
- Advanced Topics in Business Process Management (Ph.D. course)
- Advanced Topics in Information Systems (Ph.D. course)
- Software Project Management
- Requirements Engineering
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., "Compliance Request Language", book chapter, an edited book entitled “Process Querying Methods”, eds. Artem Polyvyanyy, Springer, in press.
- Elgammal A., "Towards a Comprehensive Framework for Business Process Compliance", Ph.D. Dissertation, Tilburg University Press, ISBN: 978 90 5668 313 9, 2012.
Journals and Magazines
- Elsheiba. L., Elgammal A., Helal I., El-Sharkawi M., "A Hybrid Knowledge-Based Recommended for Product-Service Systems Mass Customization", MDPI, Information, 12, 296, https://www.mdpi.com/2078-2489/12/8/296, 2021.
- Helmy M., Mazen S., Elgammal A., Youssef W., " Towards Building for Building a Comprehensive Big Data Management Maturity Framework Analytical study", International Journal of Information and Decision Sciences, 2021 (in press).
- Papazoglou P.M., Elgammal A., Krämer B.J., " Collaborative on-demand Product-Service Systems customization lifecycle", CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 29(B), pp. 205-219, ISSN 1755-5817, 2020.
- Meskini A., Taher Y., Elgammal A., Slimani Y., " Toward Proactive Learning of Multi-layered Cloud Service Based Application", Communications in Computer and Information Science, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-62594-2_5, 2017.
- Sakr S., Elgammal A. “Toward a Comprehensive Data Analytics Framework in Smart Healthcare Networks”, Journal Big Data Research, pp. 44-58, Elsevier, 4(C), DOI: 10.1016/j.bdr.2016.05.002, 2016
- Barnawi A., Awad A., Elgammal A., Elshawi R., Almalaise A., Sakr S., " An Anti-Pattern-based Runtime Business Process Compliance Monitoring Framework", International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA), 7(2), 2016.
- Barnawi A., Awad A., Elgammal A., Elshawi R., Almalaise A., Sakr S., " Runtime Self-Monitoring Approach of Business Process Compliance in Cloud Environments", Cluster Computing, 2015, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s10586-015-0494-0 (online version at: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10586-015-0494-0)
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M. "Formalising and Applying Compliance Patterns for Business Process Compliance”, Software and Systems Modelling (SoSyM), DOI: 10.1007/s10270-014-0395-3, PP. 1-28, 2014. (download) “The Final Publication is Available at springer.com”.
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., van den Heuvel W., "Using Patterns for the Analysis and Resolution of Compliance Violations”, International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, Special Issue on ICSOC’10 best papers; 21(1), pp. 31-54, 2012.
- Turetken O., Elgammal A., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M " Capturing Compliance Requirements: A Pattern-Based Approach”, IEEE Software, special issue on Software Engineering for Compliance, 29(3), pp. 28-36, 2012.
- Elgammal A., El-Sharkawi M., "Using UML to Model Web Services for Automatic Composition", International Journal of Software Engineering, 3(2), pp. 87-113, 2010.
- Elgammal A., Krämer B.J., “A Reference Architecture for Smart Digital Platform for Personalized Prevention and Patient Management”, Next-Gen Digital Services. A Retrospective and Roadmap for Service Computing of the Future, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-73203-5_7, 2021.
- Riad M, Elgammal A., Elzanfaly D., “Efficient Production Monitoring on the basis of Domain Ontologies by Utilizing IoT”, 14th Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), Germany, September 2019.
- Esheiba L., Elgammal A., El-Sharkawi M., “Recommendation Framework for On-Demand Smart Product Customization”, 21st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS’19), Greece, 2019.
- Loizou S., Elgammal A., Priyantha I., Christodoulou P., Papazoglou M.P., Andreou A.S., “A Smart Product Co-Design and Monitoring Framework via Gamification and Complex Event Processing”, 21st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS’19), Greece, 2019.
- Pingos M., Elgammal A., Priyantha I., Christodoulou P., Papazoglou M.P., Andreou A.S., “Smart Shop-Floor Monitoring Via Manufacturing Blueprints and Complex-Event Processing”, 21st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS’19), Greece, 2019.
- Magdy A., Elgammal A., Elzanfaly D., “Utilizing Twitter Data for Identifying and Resolving Runtime Business Process Disruptions”, 26th International Conference on COOPERATIVE INFORMATION SYSTEMS (CoopIS’18), Malta, 2018.
- Raid M., Elgammal A., Elzanfaly D., “Efficient Management of Perishable Inventory by Utilizing IoT”, IEEE International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE/ITMC), DOI: 10.1109/ICE.2018.8436267, Germany, 2018.
- Elgammal A., Papazoglou M., Krämer B., Constantinescu C., “Design for Customization: A New Paradigm for Product-Service System Development”, The 9th CIRP IPSS Conference: Circular Perspectives on Product/Service-Systems, Denmark, 2017.
- Papazoglou M., Elgammal A,“ The Manufacturing Blueprint Environment: Bringing Intelligence into Manufacturing”, 23rd ICE/IEEE ITMC Conference, Portugal, 2017.
- Meskini A., Taher Y., Elgammal A., Finance B., "Proactive Learning From SLA Violations in Cloud Service-Based Applications", the 6th International Conference On Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER’16), Italy, 2016.
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., "Lifecycle Business Process Compliance Management: A Semantically-Enabled Framework", The International Conference on Cloud Computing (ICCC'15), Saudi Arabia, 2015.
- Song H., Elgammal A., Nallur V., Chauvel F., Fleurey F, Clarke S., "On Architectural Diversity of Dynamic Adaptive Systems", The 37th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’15), Italy, 2015
- Nallur V., Elgammal A., Clarke S., "Smart Route Planning Using Open Data And Participatory Sensing", The 11th International Conference on Open Source Systems (OSS'15), Co-Located With the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’15), Italy, 2015 (download)
- Awad A., Barnawi A., Elgammal A., Elshawi R., Almalaise A., Sakr S., "Runtime Detection of Business Process Compliance Violations: An Approach Based on Anti Patterns", The 12th Enterprise Engineering Track at ACM SAC'15, Spain, 2015.
- Barnawi A., Awad A., Elgammal A., Elshawi R., Almalaise A., Sakr S., " BP-MaaS: A Runtime Compliance-Monitoring System for Business Processes", the 13th conference in Business Process Management (BPM’15), Demo track, Austria, 2015.
- Awad A., Sakr S., Elgammal A., " Compliance Monitoring as a Service: Requirements, Architecture, and Implementation", The International Conference on Cloud Computing (ICCC'15), Saudi Arabia, 2015.
- Elgammal A., Sebahi S., Turetken O., Hacid M.S., Papazoglou M.P., Heuvel W.J., "Business Process Compliance Management: An Integrated Proactive Approach", 24th International IBIMA Conference, pp. 764-781, Italy, 2014.
- Elgammal A., Butler T., "Towards A Framework for Semantically-Enabled Compliance Management in Financial Services", 12th International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing (ICSOC’15), 1st International Workshop on Knowledge Aware Service Oriented Applications, France, 2014.
- Turetken O., Elgammal A., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M., “Enforcing Compliance on Business Processes through the use of Patterns”, 19th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2011), Finland, 2011.
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M., "Root-Cause Analysis of Design-time Compliance Violations on the basis of Property Patterns", 8th International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing (ICSOC10), Maglio et al. (Eds.), Springer, pp. 17-31, USA, 2010.
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M., "Towards a Comprehensive Design-time Compliance Management: A Roadmap", 15 International Business Information Management Conference (15th IBIMA), Kalid S. Soliman (Eds.), IBIMA Publishing, pp. 1480-1484, Egypt, 2010.
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M., " On the Formal Specification of Regulatory Compliance: A Comparative Analysis", International Performance Assessment and Auditing in Service Computing Workshop, ICSOC10 workshops, Maximilien, E.M.; Rossi, G.; Yuan, S.-T.; Ludwig, H.; Fantinato, M. (Eds.), Springer, pp. 27-38, USA, 2010.
- Elgammal A., Turetken O., van den Heuvel W., Papazoglou M., "On the Formal Specification of Business Contracts and Regulatory Compliance", 4th International Workshop on Formal Languages and Analysis of Contract-Oriented Software (FLACOS10) in conjunction with SEFM'10, Antonio Brogi et al. (Eds.), EPTCS, pp. 33-36, Italy, 2010.
- Schumm D., Turetken O., Kokash N., Elgammal A., Leymann F., Heuvel W., "Business Process Compliance through Reusable Units of Compliant Processes", 1st International Workshop on Engineering SOA and the Web (ESW'10) in conjunction with ICWE'10, Springer, pp. 325‐337, Austria, 2010.
- Elgammal A., El-Sharkawi M., "Using Process Algebra for the Automatic Verification of Composite Web Service Modeled in UML", Al-Azhar Engineering Ninth International Conference (AEIC'07), pp. 347-366, Egypt, 2007.
Within the context of the EU-Funded projects that Dr. Elgammal has produced a set of high-quality research and prototypical implementation deliverables. All deliverables have been accepted by the EU commission with excellence:
- COMPAS: Compliance-driven Models, Language, and Architectures for Services”, which is funded by the European Commission, funding reference FP7-215175. (FP-7 2008-2012)
- D2.1: STATE-OF-THE-ART IN THE FIELD OF COMPLIANCE LANGUAGES
- D2.2: INITIAL SPECIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE LANGUAGE CONSTRUCTS AND OPERATORS
- D2.3: DESIGN OF COMPLIANCE LANGUAGE RUN-TIME ENVIRONMENT AND ARCHITECTURE
- D2.4: INITIAL IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPLIANCE REQUEST LANGUAGE
- D2.6: IMPLEMENTATION OF AN INTEGRATED PROTOTYPE HANDLING INTERACTIVE USER SPECIFIED COMPLIANCE REQUESTS IN A COMPLIANCE LANGUAGE
- D5.4: REASONING MECHANISMS TO SUPPORT THE IDENTIFICATION AND THE ANALYSIS OF PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH USER REQUESTS
- D2.1: STATE-OF-THE-ART IN THE FIELD OF COMPLIANCE LANGUAGES
- DIVERSIFY Ecology-inspired software diversity for distributed adaptation in CAS, This project has received funding from the European Union’s FP7-ICT under grant agreement no° 600654. (FP7 2013-2016)
- ICP4LIFE: An integrated collaborative platform for managing product-service engineering lifecycle, This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement no° 636862. (H2020 2015-2019)
- 1: Requirements Definition Methodology and Semantic Wiki Model
- 1: ICP4Life Customizer Design
- 2: ICP4Life Customizer First Prototype
- 3: ICP4Life Customizer Integrated Prototype
- 4: ICP4Life Customizer Final Prototype
- Bachelor's honor degree, Cairo University, 2001.
- Best master’s thesis award, Cairo University, 2007.
- European Research Institute in Service Science (ERISS) Ph.D. scholarship, Tilburg University, the Netherlands.
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=d7egWuEAAAAJ&hl=en
Dr. Amal Elgammal Research is mainly focusing on applied research and Development R&D, during her research in the context of the EU projects she has been working on she collaborated with many highly-ranked international industrial partners, such as PwC NL, Thales FR, PRIMA Industrie IT, Laserlam IT, Intrasoft GR, Tecnalia SP, Tauron PL, Hospices Civils De Lyon FR, IPO LISBOA, Amsterdam UMC, etc.